Welcome to General Talk
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account now!
Photo

Can money buy happiness?

money happiness

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Teekay

Teekay

General Talk Admin

• Administrators
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
Can money really buy happiness?

I don't think it can but money can give you and your family a better quality of life, more peace and quiet however it can be the opposite. It also depends on the person, if they're materialistic then it might to some extent.

What do you think?

ojadalia

ojadalia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I think the experience of happiness is highly individual. Personally, I think money can buy happiness in the sense that you can get stuff that makes you and people around you happy but throwing money at life's countless problems and expecting it to go away on it's own is another thing. Besides, a lot of stuff that's supposed to make most people happy is free, like being alive and free will, the money is there to make "being happy" more interesting or complicated.

Afzal

Afzal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLeicester
nope, it actually brings more stress

MakingCents

MakingCents

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
No, and in some cases it can bring more stress. But for some people who have major money concerns, money can buy a more relaxed lifestyle. Instead of working 50 hour weeks to provide for your family imagine if you could work only 40 hour weeks. That woudl give you 10 more hours to spend with your family.

Collin1000

Collin1000

Settling In

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Money cannot buy happiness. However, lack of money can cause unhappiness.

Parker

Parker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Money cannot buy happiness. However, lack of money can cause unhappiness.

I agree with this 100%. Money can't buy happiness, but the lack of money can cause stress, depression, lack of self worth and unhappiness. I have been at both ends of the spectrum and I like having money more.

tunescool

tunescool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
ive never had alot of money or things i want or need and now that im in this thread i realized i'm happy as hell, well didnt realize but thought about it. i laugh hysterically everyday, i have fun, have my computer, i love my life, but money would make my life a ton better

Collin1000

Collin1000

Settling In

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I like having money more.

I am hard pressed to find many people... or anyone even... who enjoys not having any money. :P

yellowfish

yellowfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationUK
uuummh if money causes unhappiness why do rich people never give there's up. I firmly believe that money would make me very happy.

radon

radon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia
I have always liked this lyric from a Bob Dylan song . When you ain't got nothing you've got nothing to lose.
I think when you do have a fist full of money you are either scared of spending it or losing it. Not having much of that paper stuff myself, I don't have much of it to lose. I would though, like a bit more, to do some things like travelling and increasing the solar panels on my home. So yes, it would bring some joy and I could help my daughter a little bit more financially with her money problems at the moment. But overall I am a pretty happy guy as things are.

altrouge

altrouge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
It depends on what you're buying off I guess. Money can give you contentment and happiness when it comes to having enough of that to provide for your family with their necessities and needs. But for other material things just to show it off, not really. Those things would be useless if it's not a fad anymore.

Posted Image

aw1219

aw1219

Settling In

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The hard truth is that money can buy many things but happiness is not one of them. You don't have to be rich to understand this fact. Some of the most wealthiest people in the world seem to have everything, the fancy homes, cars, businesses, anything that money can buy but they still feel an emptiness inside. As a matter of fact many of them will tell you that they were happier when they did not have money because it causes more problems. That is why some choose to get involved with a charity to give back others because they realize that there is more happiness in giving to others than receiving. That is where true happiness comes from.

Naiwen

Naiwen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Cash can bring happiness to your life, but not too much happiness.

UmiNoor

UmiNoor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
I think it depends on how you define happiness. If you're happy with lots of material stuff, then money can buy happines for you but if happiness for you is to be with your family, then perhaps money isn't necessary because the love of your family is almost free. But with no money, you cannot support your family either so the best is a balance between having enough money to not be begging on the street. Too much money is not good but too little is also equally miserable.

GAF

GAF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK
Yes I think it can most of the time. Having money helps with many points of life. It lifts financial strain and it also can help socialize you (paying for days and nights out). Overall I think money does help with life and lift the strain from life, making you happier.

Angel

Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
No, but it can buy things that make me happy, so I'm all good for it. :D

Superpie36

Superpie36

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest
Money cannot buy happiness, but I'd rather be rich and depressed than poor and depressed.

micro1000™

micro1000™

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationSerbia
It can't buy happiness, it nver will, and if someone uses money to get happiness, it wouldn't be the real thing.
Posted Image

shaun

shaun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
To an extent, yes, money can buy you happiness. Money issues are one of the main stressors for most people. Being rich will give you more time and less stress. More time and less stress equals a happier disposition. Of course, the role money plays on happiness is not absolute - you can be sad, lonely and rich.

ScarletRose

ScarletRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationAotearoa New Zealand

I think the experience of happiness is highly individual. Personally, I think money can buy happiness in the sense that you can get stuff that makes you and people around you happy but throwing money at life's countless problems and expecting it to go away on it's own is another thing. Besides, a lot of stuff that's supposed to make most people happy is free, like being alive and free will, the money is there to make "being happy" more interesting or complicated.

I think it depends on how you define happiness. If you're happy with lots of material stuff, then money can buy happines for you but if happiness for you is to be with your family, then perhaps money isn't necessary because the love of your family is almost free. But with no money, you cannot support your family either so the best is a balance between having enough money to not be begging on the street. Too much money is not good but too little is also equally miserable.

I agree very strongly with the sentiments being expressed in these two posts. While there will certainly be exceptions, money is something which one can use to acquire material products and services which provide oneself with happiness. However it is also important to take into account the role that social connections play in our lives. I am not convinced that money itself can provide an ongoing substitute for a lack of connection with other people. Although it can certainly go a long way towards enhancing happiness shared in such connections. Furthermore in many societies opportunities have very real price tags, i.e. tertiary study, so money can be needed to attain happiness here too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users