Welcome to General Talk
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account now!
Photo

Swimming

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

altrouge

altrouge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
Well, my dear mother was suggesting that I take swimming for my cardiovascular strength (well I do swim but it's just when we go to the beach or something, she want's me to do this regularly now). I know it'd help my pretty weak heart and lungs (my dad said it was congenital) but I was wondering if there would be any risks for this?

Also, anyone have an idea about other benefits of swimming? I wouldn't be in the competitive field by the way, I'll just be swimming for exercise.

Posted Image

Teekay

Teekay

General Talk Admin

• Administrators
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
Swimming is a full body activity so you'll be burning quite a bit calories. From what I've read, 30 minutes of steady swimming you can burn 200-300 calories which is about 45 mins of activity of land.

As you said, it's good for the heart and lungs, it also helps to improve,strength, flexibility and balance. Another thing I read: great for people suffering with joint or muscular problems, e.g. leg or lower back troubles.

btw, I can't swim. Hopefully will have learnt to swim this summer.

altrouge

altrouge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Swimming is a full body activity so you'll be burning quite a bit calories. From what I've read, 30 minutes of steady swimming you can burn 200-300 calories which is about 45 mins of activity of land.

As you said, it's good for the heart and lungs, it also helps to improve,strength, flexibility and balance. Another thing I read: great for people suffering with joint or muscular problems, e.g. leg or lower back troubles.

btw, I can't swim. Hopefully will have learnt to swim this summer.

Hmm, I think I'm going to have a problem with the calorie burning though. I'm already skinny and I never really gain weight. I mean if I'd be toned that would be a plus, but I don't want to get any skinnier :mellow: . Overall I guess this is still a good thing to do still, with all the other benefits.

Posted Image

Teekay

Teekay

General Talk Admin

• Administrators
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
If you're skinny and want to get toned, you should try and gain some weight first and then work out etc.

altrouge

altrouge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

If you're skinny and want to get toned, you should try and gain some weight first and then work out etc.

I don't really care about that, I'm just worried about losing more weight if I do start swimming :confused2:

Posted Image

ojadalia

ojadalia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Swimming is a great low impact workout and it's a fun way to lose pounds and stay in shape in you have access to facilities and do it regularly.

audreyso

audreyso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I've been swimming since I was 2 1/2 years old and I have to say that it toned my body well. It's good for the heart and lungs as you have mentioned as well as the musculoskeletal system. I have to admit, I don't like working out. But I love to swim. I used to do 50+ laps every Sunday and it's like working out, without getting stinky. I also had this friend who has asthma and the doctor recommended swimming and it reduced the frequency of his asthma attacks.

altrouge

altrouge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

I've been swimming since I was 2 1/2 years old and I have to say that it toned my body well. It's good for the heart and lungs as you have mentioned as well as the musculoskeletal system. I have to admit, I don't like working out. But I love to swim. I used to do 50+ laps every Sunday and it's like working out, without getting stinky. I also had this friend who has asthma and the doctor recommended swimming and it reduced the frequency of his asthma attacks.

That's great for your friend. I have a history of asthma as well so that's another plus for the swimming. You say you were toned well from swimming, I just have to ask - do you lose mass/weight significantly? I don't want to lose any more, I'm already even underweight.

Posted Image

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationUSA

Well, my dear mother was suggesting that I take swimming for my cardiovascular strength (well I do swim but it's just when we go to the beach or something, she want's me to do this regularly now). I know it'd help my pretty weak heart and lungs (my dad said it was congenital) but I was wondering if there would be any risks for this?

Also, anyone have an idea about other benefits of swimming? I wouldn't be in the competitive field by the way, I'll just be swimming for exercise.

Swimming can't backfire on you. It is a healthy sporting option, and is amazing for daily exercise. I'm already quite skinny for my age, and I'm a heavyduty swimmer. I swim about 6,000-7,000 yards a practice, with a total of about 52,000 yards a week. It helps your lungs and heart a lot. I have asthma, and I was told this is the best sport for it, assuming you aren't drowning, which then you can't breathe. xD

My advice? If you can swim, swim. There is no way it can really backfire on you. Weight shouldn't be a problem, but if it is I would see a doctor instead of blaming swimming. Swimming helps encourage you to eat more, in my opinion. I am about 5' 10" and only weigh about 130. That's underweight for a guy of my height.

Posted Image

Posted Image

audreyso

audreyso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

That's great for your friend. I have a history of asthma as well so that's another plus for the swimming. You say you were toned well from swimming, I just have to ask - do you lose mass/weight significantly? I don't want to lose any more, I'm already even underweight.

I'm also underweight! I'm a very skinny girl, but when I was swimming, it made my appetite better. My weight was just maintained, I didn't lose weight and I didn't gain too much weight either. But it gives your skinny body the muscles, so it makes you look sexier than those who are as skinny as you! =)

altrouge

altrouge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Swimming can't backfire on you. It is a healthy sporting option, and is amazing for daily exercise. I'm already quite skinny for my age, and I'm a heavyduty swimmer. I swim about 6,000-7,000 yards a practice, with a total of about 52,000 yards a week. It helps your lungs and heart a lot. I have asthma, and I was told this is the best sport for it, assuming you aren't drowning, which then you can't breathe. xD

My advice? If you can swim, swim. There is no way it can really backfire on you. Weight shouldn't be a problem, but if it is I would see a doctor instead of blaming swimming. Swimming helps encourage you to eat more, in my opinion. I am about 5' 10" and only weigh about 130. That's underweight for a guy of my height.

I'm also underweight! I'm a very skinny girl, but when I was swimming, it made my appetite better. My weight was just maintained, I didn't lose weight and I didn't gain too much weight either. But it gives your skinny body the muscles, so it makes you look sexier than those who are as skinny as you! =)

Thanks for the responses guys. You see, I have a close friend who does running, who does swimming and pretty much any sport she can get on to, but she's really skinny (maybe skinny as me or even skinnier) and it's more obvious for her because she's taller than me. I mean like, I don't want to be like that. She's really fit though and does well in sports.

So I guess swimming won't hurt. I hope I get to do my swimming after the exams :) I still have to talk to mother about this.

Posted Image

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationUSA
If I may recommend, join a USA Swimming Club. They really make swimming enjoyable, and most good clubs should be accomadating to anyone of any skill.

http://www.usaswimmi...Rainbow&Lang=en
(that will redirect to finding a local club. If it interests you, message me your zip and I'll help you pick the best looking one).

Posted Image

Posted Image

altrouge

altrouge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

If I may recommend, join a USA Swimming Club. They really make swimming enjoyable, and most good clubs should be accomadating to anyone of any skill.

http://www.usaswimmi...Rainbow&Lang=en
(that will redirect to finding a local club. If it interests you, message me your zip and I'll help you pick the best looking one).

Oh that can't do. I'm from Ireland :P

Posted Image

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationUSA
Well that might be a problem. xD

Either way, look into club swimming. I swim better and work harder when I have friends around me. It really helps if you want to enjoy swimming more and even take it up a level.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gamrpro

Gamrpro

Settling In

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationFl, USA
I did swimming for one semester last year at school. I liked it only a little. I might join my school's swimming team next year though. I think I was a lot healthier when swimming. I was quite good at it but I just don't like the competitions lol. It's quite a nervous experience!!!

SeanFace101

SeanFace101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationScotland, UK
I love swimming.
I used to do it all the time when i was younger.
I still do it now, but on occasions :P
Its great :D

cugis

cugis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
Swimming is a great exercise and keeps the body fit. As far as your heart is concerned, i would suggest to consult a doctor before beginning it.

jimmi154141

jimmi154141

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationIndia

Swimming exercise help to maintain well shape body. many peoples are do that exercise for loss weight and i aslo do that exercise daily to keep my body fit and healthy.

juvy

juvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Swimming builds cardiorespiratory fitness and muscle mass, and also burns calories. 

MargStone

MargStone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Swimming is a good form of exercise that you should try. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users