Welcome to General Talk
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account now!
Photo

Is there anyway to help make my laptop faster?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Afzal

Afzal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLeicester
I have a laptop running on windows 7, with 4GB ram, intel core i3 and speed of 2.27GHz. Basically its a fairly good laptop for everyday use. I have noticed that recently my laptop has been running slightly slower than usual. Anybody know a way of speeding it up in anyway?
Any quick tips?

Teekay

Teekay

General Talk Admin

• Administrators
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
Tips on speeding up Windows 7 - http://www.makeuseof...dows-7-machine/

You might also want to try CCleaner to remove temporary files. You can download that from the Piriform website.

Ritz

Ritz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
You can try defraging your hard disk, this does take a few hours. If you dont want to download Ccleaner you can use Disk cleanup which is on all MS OS based computers.
Posted Image

general

general

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
You can use the free version of Revo Uninstaller to remove unwanted programs and traces.
I have used this software several times and have the good result.
Here is the link:

http://www.revounins...e_download.html

Teekay

Teekay

General Talk Admin

• Administrators
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
Thanks. Trying that software out right now. The review on CNET seems good - http://download.cnet...4-10687648.html

Jarez

Jarez

Settling In

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
TuneUp is also a fantastic cleanup utility, it found about 2gb of random data on my computer it flies now.. however i use CCleaner more often, but it is not effective against deleting long term files. Tuneup's 1 click maintenance feature scans your computer system and you are able to clean a vast number of areas at one time, such as the registry, memory dumps, system restore backup files, and internet files. I would recommend TuneUp as it cleans through everything more thoroughly than ccleaner. After this use CCleaner about once everyweek to clean through data and stop a build up. defragmenting your hard disk drive and disabling items at startup is also a good idea.

Tune Up: http://www.tuneup-so...CFc0htAodlFMuaw

Hope it is effective enough :great:

C

Afzal

Afzal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLeicester

Thanks. Trying that software out right now. The review on CNET seems good - http://download.cnet...4-10687648.html

How was the software? Was it any good?
I might consider giving it a try if it is worth it...

Teekay

Teekay

General Talk Admin

• Administrators
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
It's quite good for removing unnecessary programs and freeing up space.

The TuneUp Utilities program was good, it's got a 15 day free trial so it's worth trying it out.

raee

raee

New To GT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTurkey|Istanbul,Aydin,Izmir,Manisa,Samsun,Gaziantep,Diyarbakir,Ankara,Bursa,Adana,Dalaman,Alanya,Tokat,Van,Mersin,Eskisehir,Kocaeli,Konya,Balikesir,Mugla,Bodrum,Antalya,Isparta
Well, maybe you can try this software to make to help make my laptop faster.

Advanced Uninstaller PRO is the ultimate uninstaller for Windows, allowing you to uninstall programs quickly and completely using its simple and intuitive interface.

No need to worry about stubborn programs ever again!

Advanced Uninstaller PRO features an Installation Monitor that keeps track of all changes performed to your computer during software installations; this way you can later completely uninstall any program and make sure nothing is left behind. Advanced Uninstaller PRO is able to uninstall any program without a trace.

Advanced Uninstaller PRO can also remove a lot of items that other uninstallers can't even touch. It can repair broken registry entries, clean non-functional Start Menu shortcuts, uninstall annoying browser toolbars, plugins and hijackers, remove fonts and get rid of startup programs that run in your system tray and slow down your computer.

http://www.advanceduninstaller.com/

Posted Image

Hampaissori

Hampaissori

Settling In

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationFort Churst
It it very important first you should find out how your system resources have been used and make sure that there is not any malware in your system
I strongly suggest that you should detect them via " Process Hacker" which is a free, powerful, multi-purpose tool that not only helps you monitor system resources but also detects malware.

main_window.png

Mr.Panos

Mr.Panos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationGreece
Perhaps, you want to consider the upgrade of the processor and of the RAM. All Intel Core processors are really good, but of course i7 is more powerful. However, I don't think that you are going to notice a big difference, especially when you just use an Internet Browser. If you are doing a lot of multitasking, you will definitely understand the difference between an i3, an i5 and an i7.. Their price is a bit high, that's why I highly recommend to add more RAM. Personally, I had bought an iMac 21.5'' with 4GB RAM and it didn't create any problems for 4 years. Now, it starts creating some minor things. For example, it becomes a bit slower. If you add more RAM, you will definitely expand your computer's life and you will increase your laptop's speed.
I am looking forward to adding more RAM I will possibly purchase a 8GB.

Ashish92

Ashish92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationIndia

Some simple tips that would help you are - 

1. Go to run >> type "%temp%", delete all the files from that folder from time to time.

2. Try to keep your desktop as clean as possible.

3. Clean your browser cache.

4. Go to run >> type "msconfig", in the new window opened go to startup and deselect the services you don't want to startup automatically with windows.

these simple tips are bound to speed up your pc and are a regular maintenance procedure for windows

Forums-Like-To-Ban-Me

Forums-Like-To-Ban-Me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Locationhelp im lost i forgot

i have found windows 7 is slow to start and if you got home thats worse

most all of the above revo or i prefer your uninstaller buy the full version i used revo its good but your is easier and cleans the registry and leftovers and can make a restore point for if it crashes

all windows are like you the more crap we throw on you the slower you get

windows has on good feature right click your hard drive go to properties disk cleanup

disk cleanup finds stuff even the best software dont and also in that dump extras games not used etc

like said defrag

take a screen shot of windows task manager process tab stretch and make as big and easy to read people can help you more then

you can see for yourself too the first is cpu the second is memory both important to speed

find the hogs look over the memory side look up and down closely see who has the most is that deletable needed etc

also dont use internet explorer chrome any of them fire fox is a bit process heavy but its staill the most secure browser i have see and used

go to http://www.oldversion.com/ get ver 9 of fire fox make sure you turn off auto update or it will go back to the newest

while your on that site down grade media player or use foobar for just music the old version of media player plays most videos music

if you want old media player is recommend http://free-codecs.com/ k lite mega it has window media player classic with the codecs and stuff for it to run

also like said cc is good but i would buy pro also window washer is good and window washer uses government erase if you turn it on

browsers if not controlled and watched can store a crap load

my advice just my opinion stay old stop upgrading to the newest version i never let any windows ver get the newest ver often turn off auto update auto update does more harm than good i have had video cards die with new and had to go back to old

people always push new versions updates and tell you scary stories iv only updated my win 7 maybe 3 times since i have had it windows xp never updated

thats also a possibility does the laptop or website have xp drivers??

go to xp xp will loose you 2 gigs of ram it ends at two but i have heard of it reading more

ignore lies and scare tactic win xp is 100 percent still useable its not the updates stopping its companies like dell hp custom forcing you into the new windows

which you have to the higher performance high ram multi processor xp recognizes 4 but there getting to fancy and thats the true reason xp is going away not the updates

Microsoft is nasty when new pcs come out they work with Microsoft and make it so there are only drivers for win 7 win 8

good luck and when i was in my pc business back in the pent 4s i always told my customers no such thing as old pcs as long as it meets your needs and can be tweaked a bit to make them happier

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

The most difficult phase of life is not when no one understands you,
it is when you don't understand yourself.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

The next time you think you’re perfect, try walking on water.

SteveJackson

SteveJackson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationJacksonville

I have read all of your post and it's very helpful. I'm also suffering because my computer works so slow. Now, I know what to do. Thanks guys.

Forums-Like-To-Ban-Me

Forums-Like-To-Ban-Me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Locationhelp im lost i forgot

if you are going to stick with windows 7 back up you documents pics etc use a boot disk and nuke the drive

a gove wipe of the drive can take a day or so depending on how big it is

reinstall windows fresh

between crashes and viruses i have found windows 7 every3 or so months runs better if wipped and reinstalled

personally search the net see if you can get drivers for xp if you can switch to xp cooperate i dont take a serial and wont want new serials on new stuff installed

also if useing 7 i found every ver of windows the home editions suck and dont always work right but thats me othere love and support home editions

good luck

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

The most difficult phase of life is not when no one understands you,
it is when you don't understand yourself.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

The next time you think you’re perfect, try walking on water.

jimparsonjp7

jimparsonjp7

Settling In

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

delete all temp and %temp% and prefetch files... and clean your desktop...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users