Welcome to General Talk
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account now!
Photo

Cigarettes in Movies

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

radon

radon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia
It's been recently reported again and known for a long time after a study was done in 2001, that smoking cigarettes in movies actually encourages the habit for teenagers viewing them. There's also a push now to ban these movies in New Zealand with 2025 as the target year called the " realistic tobacco end game plan" for the habit to be eradicated. It may seem draconian to some but for others maybe it 's a good idea. I have no problem with cigarette smoking ceasing. What do you think?

Naiwen

Naiwen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

It's been recently reported again and known for a long time after a study was done in 2001, that smoking cigarettes in movies actually encourages the habit for teenagers viewing them. There's also a push now to ban these movies in New Zealand with 2025 as the target year called the " realistic tobacco end game plan" for the habit to be eradicated. It may seem draconian to some but for others maybe it 's a good idea. I have no problem with cigarette smoking ceasing. What do you think?

Personally, I think its disrepectful and stuff... but yeah, people do anything they want in the theaters.

BonnyC

BonnyC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Personally, I think its disrepectful and stuff... but yeah, people do anything they want in the theaters.

I think they're referring to actors smoking in the actual movie, but if I'm wrong, I'm sorry.

I've actually seen electronic cigarettes being used lately in actual movies. Johnny Depp used one in a movie he shot with Angelina Jolie. Plus, there was a doctor on some medical show or another who was "smoking" one and talked about it a bit.

I'm a big e-cigarette advocate as I've switched to them and stuck with it for a year. Not as healthy as quitting entirely, but a lot better than smoking. Nicotine isn't really any worse than caffeine, so I'm happy with it. I have a very nervous disposition and it is calming and keeps me from fidgeting so much. Studies have actually shown that it can have that effect on some people with mental disorders like anxiety and schizophrenia.

On topic, I can see how seeing actors smoking in movies and shows can make it look cool and more acceptable to teens and impressionable minds. It will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes if they take it out completely. Then, maybe other countries will follow suit.

jimmi154141

jimmi154141

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationIndia

Smoking Cigarette is very injurious to health.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users