Welcome to General Talk
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account now!
Photo

Gay Marriage Is A Civil Rights Issue

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

wanderer

wanderer

Settling In

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMidwest
Legally marriage is a contract, with no more symbolic or emotional meanig than a lease or sales contract. This contract has a great many governmental benefits for its participants, such as Social Security survivor benefits, and the right to make end of life decisions for the partners.

Therefore, banning marriage between two consenting adults of the same sex is a violation of their constitutional rights.

radon

radon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia
This question had been debated long and hard in my country. It has slowly come around to being accepted my the majority. Laws were changed a couple of years ago so same sex couples are recognised as being in a de facto relationship with regards to social security. This however gave unemployed couples less payment than if they were two men or women sharing a house? The Leader of the opposition in Federal Government is Catholic and is opposed to any moves to allow marriage. Yes, it's an infringement on peoples civil rights. A video has been made to show same sex couples lead ordinary lives like any other couple.

Angel

Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
Homosexuals are no less human than heterosexuals. They should be given the same rights and privileges as the "normal" people. Well, normal in this sense is just a construct made by the prejudiced society, and we should not adhere to its very subjective standards. I say yes to gay marriage. They have feelings and emotions, too. They have every right to be bonded by a written contract if it means security and a happy future.

BonnyC

BonnyC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
This is an extremely important thing to me. Many people who feel like it shouldn't be allowed are the folks who need to remember to judge not lest they be judged. I have many gay friends and they deserve the same treatment that heterosexuals do. It's segregation all over again and it CANNOT be allowed to continue. It's not the government's business that they are gay, so they shouldn't have any laws that are specifically against them. I can't believe that it has gone on as long as it has.

altrouge

altrouge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
It's good that some countries are gradually accepting gay marriages. Being against this is just on the same level as racism - the fact that you're condemning someone/a group of people basically because they're different and they don't show the same perspective as you, or just because you think you're better than them. I don't have any problems with this, I would support them against those who discriminate them.

Posted Image

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationUSA
I don't believe the government has a right to decide this... think of it this way. The most common reason on why it should be banned is religion. It's a violation of a 1st amendment to restrict something because of a certain religion. Apparently our government doesn't realize we broke apart from Britain because of religious freedom, yet now we don't get that we all don't practice the same religion.

It's disgusting that people judge people because they are "gay" or "lesbian". I'm strictly not, except I understand if so.

And besides, religion to me is so flawed I just stop practicing it all together. It's not that I'm an atheist, but I don't need a preacher telling me what they think god thinks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

classy_ally

classy_ally

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationArlington
I do not like the gay lifestyle by any means. But I don't believe in stopping them from having what they want. You can't discriminate based on what someone chooses to do with their life. Plus, we have morons like the Kardashinans and Elizabeth Taylor making a mockery of marriage. So it is no longer sacred by any means. Just give them the rights and lets move on to something more pressing like the economy and starving Americans!

twinsmommy

twinsmommy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Homosexuals are people just like everyone else. If they want to enter into a marriage contract I don't see why they shouldn't be able to. They are working, paying taxes and living their lives just like everyone else, except it is a same sex relationship. So why should the government be able to say they don't have the same rights as heterosexuals? I have some very good friends who are gay and they are no different than the rest of the world so let them have the same rights and freedoms. It is not our place to judge others.

Mystique

Mystique

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationCape Town
I agree that this should be dealt with immediately - give them what they want and let's move on to other things.
~ Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else ~

MakingCents

MakingCents

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Absolutely, it's 100% a civil rights issue and notThere is not LEGAL reason it should be illegal. You can argue for it religiously, but religion and politics should NOT mix.

Hanako Ikezawa

Hanako Ikezawa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
Gay marriage is not legal in my country. However, I don't believe banning it is a breach of the constitution. If you think back a few decades, miscegenation was illegal. It is not now. I'm for gay marriage as I feel everyone has the right to love whomever they love (within reason - an adult should never be allowed to marry a child, no matter what), but for most people, it's not the right time. Many politicians in office right now are old. They may have grown up during the repeal of the miscegenation laws, but they also grew up during a time that gays were worse than Hitler, terrorists and rednecks put together. They're set in their ways, and won't change their beliefs. However, maybe when the next generation of politicians take office, things will change.
Today I don't need to reach your deafened ears and
I don't need to try and fill your empty heart, 'cause
All I need now is the agony I see upon your face,
That's good enough for me
In the end

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users