Welcome to General Talk
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account now!
Photo

Forum Software

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationUSA
What is your favorite forum software? Free? Paid?

You guys nailed my favorite paid forum software - IPB. To me, it looks the most professional, even better than XenForo. My favorite free one is either Proboards for the fact that it is free hosted yet really good for that, or SMF because of the huge customizable options..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Zaborg

Zaborg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationEurope
Hey,

I've been working with PHPBB3 for years and I must say it's very customizable (hope it's a word...) and very easy to learn. They might all look the same, but that's because people don't customize them enough. Possibilities are endless.

It's open source, everything is in a very logical order.

But I would also like to mention MyBB. That is the worst of them all, it's so ugly, so boring, so complicated.

PhpBB3 is very good, it's sad that people don't know how to use it with full potential.

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationUSA

Hey,

I've been working with PHPBB3 for years and I must say it's very customizable (hope it's a word...) and very easy to learn. They might all look the same, but that's because people don't customize them enough. Possibilities are endless.

It's open source, everything is in a very logical order.

But I would also like to mention MyBB. That is the worst of them all, it's so ugly, so boring, so complicated.

PhpBB3 is very good, it's sad that people don't know how to use it with full potential.

Very true. PhpBB3 is pretty good. MyBB is actually one of my least favorites as well. It is even worse than SMF!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Shortie861

Shortie861

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
When it comes to free software it has to be MyBB, there is so much available for MyBB and it is like a toned down version of vBulletin, for a free software you wouldn't expect half of what you get and can do :)

Paid for me was vBulletin but it is now Xenforo since I started using it in January 2012, it is still pretty basic when you think about it but it is also so much safer and not as many bugs as vBulletin had, I also find the support alot better than vBulletin.

Anurag M

Anurag M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationIndia
I have been using MyBB for a long time, since 2009. Its really is the best among the free ones. Its easy to operate and customize with lots and lots of templates, plugins and mycodes. I haven't faced any problem using MyBB at all in these years, I recommend this to everyone. :)

Matt

Matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
MyBB is what I'm currently using with a friend to build a forum, it's very good. I'd say level with phpBB3, but both are fantastic softwares, considering they're free.

Jerlene

Jerlene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationParadise
My favourite forum software is MyBB, which is of course free at mybb.com
If I were to go for a paid one it would probably be vBulletin.

alfishstik

alfishstik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationVancouver
XenForo and IPB are my favourite paid software, while MyBB and phpBB are tied for the best free ones. What really matters when using either of the free ones is customizing it with a great theme and UI because that's what sets the free forum softwares from the paid ones.

Malovent

Malovent

Settling In

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationU.S.A
I like paid the most because that is what I am more familiar with. I do not think I could handle the paid softwares.

Superpie36

Superpie36

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest
MyBB is definitely the best free forum engine and Vbulletin is the best paid forum engine.

The only forum engine I don't like is Xenforo. It seems messy imo.

Leon

Leon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOhio
While I used to think IPB was by far the superior software, I'm more inclined to think XenForo is the current leader in forum platforms. That being said, I use ZetaBoards and I'm immensely happy with it, even though it is a free software.

Posted Image

tunescool

tunescool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
i started with proboards and was never going to leave, i have tons of posts i dont want to lose, at the end of the year proboards is going to have an update and the mods there say it will blow any forum software on the internet, free or paid away

Steven

Steven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationKentucky
I've been a long time fan of IPB, but I also have a lot of history with vBulletin and SimpleMachines.

Favorite Paid: IPB
Favorite Free: SMF
Posted Image

Sonikku

Sonikku

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
My favorite forum software is definitely IPB, but since i'm poor I have to use the free version over the paid version. :V It has great features and I think the layout is very nice as well. :) Most forums I visit seem to use IPB as well, so I grew to like it even more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users