Welcome to General Talk
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account now!
Photo

Posting Contest on General Talk

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

tunescool

tunescool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
i dont understand how a moderator can even participate in a contest. theyre a mod, theyre here to take care of the forum and its their job to make topics and post. a mod is getting no incentive to post by being in, plus it takes away from the actual members. no offense teekay, but with this mod involvement there is no contest, you mine as well just give 22 the money and just hold a contest for only 2nd and 3rd place winners, it doesnt make sense

Teekay

Teekay

General Talk Admin

• Administrators
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
Before the contest started I said that all members are eligible for the prizes with the exception of only the Administrators. There were no questions raised at that point so I don't see why it is a problem now. The moderator has no access to GT Cash to edit the amount a member has and I've disabled GT Cash transfer for everyone on the forum so there is no advantage of being a moderator during the contest.

Why is there no contest that a moderator is involved?
They have no advantage, there is no limit on how much a regular member or a moderator can post and the GT Cash you earn per post and thread is the same for all members on the forum, even the post flood control is the same.

If you can give me a valid reason as to why it's unfair to include him in the contest, then I'll look into it. Until then, I guess it's only because he is in the lead at the moment.

tunescool

tunescool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
moderators just dont belong in a contest that is supposed to be held to get members to post, or to bring in new members. its for members to post, moderators already post, they are part of the forum anyway. you hold a contest for members, its only logical, mods dont participate. only 2 members are getting what prizes are being awarded

anyone can back me up here

Teekay

Teekay

General Talk Admin

• Administrators
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
What you said is simply your opinion and I understand what you mean but I made this thread a few days before the contest started and there were no questions raised then so I don't see why it's a problem now when the contest is ending in 2 days. It makes no difference to me who I award the prize to as long as they won fairly.

I ran a contest before and the moderator was allowed to enter then and none of the members had any problem with it. Is this because the prizes are only for the top 3 and because the gap between the 3rd and 4th is quite big?

BTW, there are additional awards with prizes that are going to be given out. These are not based on the post count or GT Cash you have accumulated so if you're not in the top 3 you could still win another award.

tunescool

tunescool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
i havent looked at this thread until a couple hours ago since i first posted about if we had to enter. i know i read the rules and this to me means any staff member

1. All members are eligible for contest with the exception of the Administrators.

ive been in contests before and been in this same postion, mods in the contest and yes above me. them not being able to participate is my belief even before ive even been in any contest ever, what i would think as an admin, because its honest, and what i would think before i even had the internet. it should just be law

if a school is having a contest for the kids(members), teachers(mods), dont participate in the competition. because its obvious. they are above the kids and part of the system

i bring the whole matter up because its what i know is rite first, and honestly yes, it disturbs me that a mod would blow the whole idea of a contest and im getting bumped out of something ive earned

radon

radon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia

anyone can back me up here

Okay. I will be brief and say I was surprised. :shrug:
I have to accept that it has been allowed. :mellow:

Teekay

Teekay

General Talk Admin

• Administrators
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
I understand what you mean. You may believe it's totally unfair, but wouldn't it be more unfair to ban someone from a contest just a day before it ends even though they have broken none of the rules?

BTW, if you're worried about any posts made in the staff forum that may be count toward the contest. Those GT Cash are deducted. Also, if you're worried that the moderator may be moderating you unfairly or even deleted one of your posts. No need to worry there either because I check the moderator logs.

This time, I will not be excluding the moderator from the contest as I said they are allowed to enter before the contest started and I will stick to that. Any future contest that will be held on the forum, I will take your point into consideration.

Thank you.

Leaderboard (as of 30/08/2012, 11:15 BST)

1. 22_22 1239.50 GT Cash
2. micro1000™ 1106.50 GT Cash
3. radon 1208.50 GT Cash
4. tunescool 292.50 GT Cash
5. Hanako Ikezawa 258.00 GT Cash

radon

radon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia
I had to support Tunecool. I think he had a valid point. Surprised? Yes. Have a problem with it? No.
Let the games continue.

Teekay

Teekay

General Talk Admin

• Administrators
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
Leaderboard (as of 30/08/2012, 17:05 BST)

1. 22_22 1428.50 GT Cash
2. radon 1289.50 GT Cash
3. micro1000™ 1281.50 GT Cash
4. tunescool 292.50 GT Cash
5. Hanako Ikezawa 282.50 GT Cash

22_22

22_22

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationEngland
Thanks for updating the leaderboard again, it's really close still. :P

micro1000™

micro1000™

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationSerbia
No, i fell on 3rd spot.
Posted Image

Teekay

Teekay

General Talk Admin

• Administrators
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
Exactly 24 hours to go till the end of the contest.

Teekay

Teekay

General Talk Admin

• Administrators
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
Leaderboard (as of 31/08/2012, 13:20 BST)

1. 22_22 1620.00 GT Cash
2. radon 1584.50 GT Cash
3. micro1000™ 1437.50 GT Cash
4. tunescool 325.00 GT Cash
5. Hanako Ikezawa 282.50 GT Cash

micro1000™

micro1000™

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationSerbia
Yay i finally won something on the internet.
Posted Image

Teekay

Teekay

General Talk Admin

• Administrators
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
Half an hour to go.

The contest results will be announced tomorrow along with the other awards.

radon

radon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Phew. That was a long slog. Bits of paper with notes to myself everywhere.Coffee cup rings on the desk.
Chuckles to myself when the wife asks what are you doing.
Winning a holiday for you and me darling.I thinks quietly to myself. :biggrin:
Congratulation everyone. Some tough opponents to get the better of in the contest.
Beautiful sunny day here this first day of Spring.
Must go and enjoy it. :cool:

micro1000™

micro1000™

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationSerbia

The contest results will be announced tomorrow along with the other awards.

Can't wait.
Posted Image

22_22

22_22

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationEngland
I'm looking forward to hearing the results. :P

Teekay

Teekay

General Talk Admin

• Administrators
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
Sorry about the delay guys.

Got a headache at the moment but I'll have the results posted by today.

Teekay

Teekay

General Talk Admin

• Administrators
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
The posting contest results have been posted here - http://generaltalk.n...ontest-results/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users