Welcome to General Talk
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account now!
Photo

Interviewing the interviewee.

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

ScarletRose

ScarletRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationAotearoa New Zealand
I work at a food distribution centre which deals with frozen a chilled food products. At the moment I am currently in selection which involves picking and stacking the orders which supermarkets place. With rare exception I do this mostly in the chilled area. Current regular hours are Mon, Tue, Thu and Fri 1pm to 9:30pm and 11:30am till 8pm on Sunday. I am going to be changing department on this upcoming Thursday. In my new department I will be dealing specifically with milk related orders. Hour will change to Sun, Mon, Thu and Fri 8am till 6:30pm.

Posted Image

radon

radon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia
I think it was Edgells that moved to the north Island of NZ so it could sell frozen peas back to the Australians. There was a move on to only buy Australian peas. Has our boycott worked in pea sales not to buy NZ products? :confused2:

22_22

22_22

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationEngland
When do you listen to music?

ScarletRose

ScarletRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

I think it was Edgells that moved to the north Island of NZ so it could sell frozen peas back to the Australians. There was a move on to only buy Australian peas. Has our boycott worked in pea sales not to buy NZ products? :confused2:

It is hard to say really. I had not heard about the boycott of NZ peas taking place in Australia. Nor am I even aware how large our export market was for peas to Australia. It is not typically something which gets mentioned when it comes to our foreign trades. Usually it is our meat and dairy products. Although there was that controversy for a while over your boycott of NZ apples.

When do you listen to music?

Occasionally when I am at home depending on the mood. Essentially all the time when I am walking somewhere, such as walking to or from work.

Posted Image

22_22

22_22

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationEngland
How far do you walk to work?

radon

radon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia

It is hard to say really. I had not heard about the boycott of NZ peas taking place in Australia. Nor am I even aware how large our export market was for peas to Australia. It is not typically something which gets mentioned when it comes to our foreign trades. Usually it is our meat and dairy products. Although there was that controversy for a while over your boycott of NZ apples.

Peas are mostly now from the land of the long white cloud. You guys can get them here for a pittance. Don't they pay wages there? I heard on the radio just last week that the number of economic refugees from NZ to Oz has sky-rocketed.
On the topic of apples. Tasmania is really trying hard to stop those blighted apples into the Apple Isle.
What are your views on free trade especially when it can damage the local industry?

ScarletRose

ScarletRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

How far do you walk to work?

The route I take is 2.2km according to Google maps. That figure sounds about right to me.

Peas are mostly now from the land of the long white cloud. You guys can get them here for a pittance. Don't they pay wages there? I heard on the radio just last week that the number of economic refugees from NZ to Oz has sky-rocketed.
On the topic of apples. Tasmania is really trying hard to stop those blighted apples into the Apple Isle.
What are your views on free trade especially when it can damage the local industry?

There is somewhat of a large pay gap between what one makes here vs what you can make for the same job over there. For the same job I have been doing here, you can get almost double the pay in Australia. There is also the cheaper cost of migration to Australia and the ease of getting citizenship due to the close relations between the two countries. I am largely opposed to free trade as I find neoliberal globalization to be incredibly problematic economically, politically and culturally.

Posted Image

22_22

22_22

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationEngland
What public transport do you take?

radon

radon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia
I could't agree more. It was a total shafting by the Us for us to enter into free trade and they continue to subsidise their industries.
Would you ever shift to Oz to increase your wages?

ScarletRose

ScarletRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

What public transport do you take?

It depends on how poorly I have structured my day plan. If able I will use a bus. The buses here are pretty awesome. When I finally get around to returning to uni I will be using the bus system.

I could't agree more. It was a total shafting by the Us for us to enter into free trade and they continue to subsidise their industries.
Would you ever shift to Oz to increase your wages?

Simply for better wages, no. The idea of moving somewhere that I do not know anyone at all is a little intimidating. Also while money is nice, it is not a make or break deal for me. Within reason of course. I would consider moving there based on the job there being one I would appreciate much more. By this I mean the quality of the job experience matters more to me than the quantity of the money.

Posted Image

radon

radon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia
As you probably know the mining industry in West Aust is booming. I worked up there years ago as a gardener. I thought it was the best job on the Island. Koolan Island.
Would you stay in the same line of work?

ScarletRose

ScarletRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hopefully not. If the opportunity presents itself I would rather have a job in academia.

Posted Image

radon

radon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia
I have always thought of the Cook Islands as being somehow a territory of New Zealand's. Have you been there?

22_22

22_22

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationEngland
Do you use Taxi's for travelling to and from places?

ScarletRose

ScarletRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

I have always thought of the Cook Islands as being somehow a territory of New Zealand's. Have you been there?

Without checking it is my understanding that the New Zealand Government still has a large say over their policy, especially in areas like Foreign policy. I have never been there myself. Indeed I have never been outside of New Zealand.

Do you use Taxi's for travelling to and from places?

Yes, this is what I usually resort to when I am too inefficient with my time. It makes more sense to catch a Taxi to work than get there late as the weekly bonus we get for punctuality is higher than a one off taxi fare.

Posted Image

22_22

22_22

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationEngland
What do you do for fun outside?

ScarletRose

ScarletRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Not a whole lot really. Indeed these days I very rarely spend recreational time outside at all. xD

Posted Image

22_22

22_22

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationEngland
How about when it is raining? Do you go outside anyway or do you stay indoors?

radon

radon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Ever been to the south island or even down to Stewart island?

ScarletRose

ScarletRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

How about when it is raining? Do you go outside anyway or do you stay indoors?

It depends on what it is that I am wanting to do outside. Sometimes it can be nice to go for a walk in the rain. That is when it is not windy. xD

Ever been to the south island or even down to Stewart island?

Stewart Island, No. South Island, yes. When I was living with my previous girlfriend, her mother came over to visit from Japan. During this time we we to Christchurch(prior to the earthquakes). It was a really really nice time. :)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users