Welcome to General Talk
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account now!
Photo

Atheists Vs Islam

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Shole

Shole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Are Atheists afraid to dispute Islam? it seems that atheists are very opinionated and in your face with their argument's against Christianity but less in your face about it with Islam, is this lack of debate between the two out of fear that the outcome would end in violence? or is there a geographical/social reason why this is not a more heated debate between the two groups?

Hanako Ikezawa

Hanako Ikezawa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
As someone not entirely sure of their religious disposition, I feel that Islam isn't debated as widely because there is a lot more stigma displayed from it. Many of the biggest and most publicized religion-fueled attacks and acts of terrorism come from those who identify themselves as members of the Islamic faith. The 7/7 bombings, 9/11 and the lesser-known May 22nd nail bombing in the city just down the road from mine, were all committed by Muslims. As a result, I believe this makes many people less willing to debate the Islamic faith.

One of the most pitiful reasons I've found for not debating it, however, came from someone who identified themselves as a Muslim. Their argument was "You don't understand, the Qur'an can be taken in many ways due to translations" which, to me, means it's a terrible reason to follow a faith. If it's so easy to misconstrue (there are eight words in Arabic that mean "friend" for example, and they are all used differently in the Qur'an) then it is not a very good thing to place your life beliefs in.
Today I don't need to reach your deafened ears and
I don't need to try and fill your empty heart, 'cause
All I need now is the agony I see upon your face,
That's good enough for me
In the end

stevo87

stevo87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationUK

I give up challenging it as I always get branded a racist