Welcome to General Talk
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account now!
Photo

Soccer or Football?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

22_22

22_22

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationEngland
I was just wondering what you call it? Football or Soccer?

I personally call it Football as I am British and it is played with a ball and your foot, hence the name Football. I'm not sure how you could get Soccer from that. :P

The American version seems more like Rugby to me...

What are your thoughts on this?

radon

radon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia
It's suppose to be PC to call soccer football here but not many bother because it's so confusing.
A little bit of history.
For much of the 20th century Australian rules was played internally in all states except for New South Wale and Queensland. Their sport was the two forms of Rugby. Union and League which they called football. In the late 20th century Australian Rules began being played as teams against each other, between states, so N.S.W and Qld. decided also to field teams. Soccer has also now become a major sport and is also referred to as football by soccer followers.
So there are three kinds of football and it all depends on who you are talking to.
When I talk to you Brits, I would call soccer football. I do enjoy that football as well but not as much as Aussie rules.

micro1000™

micro1000™

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationSerbia
I call it football, don't get why they have to call it soccer.
Posted Image

radon

radon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia
I guess Soccer could be considered true football. It is mostly played with the foot and very so rarely with the nogin.

Hanako Ikezawa

Hanako Ikezawa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
I call football soccer, despite being from England. Because I'm a big fan of American football, and often discuss it with people, I find it easier to differentiate the two in that way.
Today I don't need to reach your deafened ears and
I don't need to try and fill your empty heart, 'cause
All I need now is the agony I see upon your face,
That's good enough for me
In the end

altrouge

altrouge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
I'm from Ireland, and we either refer to it as football or soccer. Mostly football. It's because besides that, we also have to differentiate the football we play worldwide with the Gaelic football we have here.

Posted Image

mariarao

mariarao

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationKentucky
May be i am not so sure but i think Soccer and Football are smae, it's just a name change.

Combo

Combo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationEngland

Soccer in the UK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users