Welcome to General Talk
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account now!
Photo

Ask Ashley

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Ashley

Ashley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

I haven't got a site but I am still active in the webmaster and promotion genre. :P

What was your last forum and what forum software did you use for it?

My last and final forum was Chatting Time and we were using phpBB. I had to give it up because of all the crap going on in real life with my step dad passing away last November and my time being ridiculously limited. Not sure if I'll ever come out with a forum again.. Should I come out with one again, I may go back to prophpBB's free plan...you can't add mods on your own with a free plan, but I could care less as I usually have very little patiences with advanced hosting at all.
God deserves the best from us -- Michael W. Smith

radon

radon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Have you voted for General Talk today? :great:
http://generaltalk.n..._100#entry14183

22_22

22_22

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationEngland
Yeah, ProphpBB is quite good for a free host but make sure you post on your site at least once a month or it will be removed for inactivity with no chance of getting your site back.

What other hosts have you used before?

Ashley

Ashley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Have you voted for General Talk today? :great:
http://generaltalk.n..._100#entry14183

Not yet, but I've been busy taking it easy so I've been limiting my computer time a bit. I'll have to though at one point.

Yeah, ProphpBB is quite good for a free host but make sure you post on your site at least once a month or it will be removed for inactivity with no chance of getting your site back.

What other hosts have you used before?

I didn't say I WILL be coming out with a forum again, that was just a suggestion I thought of for if I ever do get the itch to run a forum again. It most likely won't happen for a long time... too many health issues going on right now, otherwise I'd love to.

I've used a fair few hosts in my time. Probably one of the worst hosts I have ever used is 000Webhosts. Took forever to get the confirmation email, took forever to get passsword details for Cpanel... I was pissed. All I wanted was a simple Website to go along with the forum I had at the time on Pluto Hosting, and all 000Webhost did was practically give me hell. And then, when I finally got my Cpanel details, I swear I spent more time twiddling my thumbs or posting on my forum as the Cpanel took forever to load as well. Big piss off right there and I now understand more than ever why a lot of people hate that host. When asking for advice on what to use for advanced hosting, if I heard it once I heard it a thousand times "whatever you do, DON'T use 000Webhost!) and then I get this long winded rant thrown at me about how bad they were. Never believed it till I saw it for myself, and now days even I'm reluctunt to suggest 000Webhost to a new forum owner. I will gladly recommend almost anything but these days.

22_22

22_22

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationEngland
That's alright, I was just informing you about it just incase you do choose them as your host, if you do make a forum again.

How many forums do you visit a day?

Ashley

Ashley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

That's alright, I was just informing you about it just incase you do choose them as your host, if you do make a forum again.

How many forums do you visit a day?

I visit about five forums on a daily basis. Probably only have 2 that I'm really active on, others I only have certain sections that I'm active on... Why I only have favorite sections at times I don't know... that's just how I am I guess.

As for posting on my site at least once a day or risk it being deleted for inactivty? No worries there. My last forum I visited it at least five or six times a day, depending on what I felt like health wise and whatever else, especially time wise. I was especially checking on my forum constantly in August/September of 2011 after we'd gotten hacked that one week in August. Probably shouldn't have been too worried about it as I had a tech admin and stuff, but that didn't stop me from worrying and checking up on progress of restoration... not to mention trying to make up for lost time by trying to replace content that was lost. In fact, my own forum was one of the first sites I visited before checking any other site on any one day, so I really don't have to worry about sudden deletion. At least, I wouldn't this time around.

Edited by Ashley, 15 October 2012 - 08:45 PM.

22_22

22_22

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationEngland
Have you ever started your own blog or website? How did that go?

Ashley

Ashley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Have you ever started your own blog or website? How did that go?

When I had my last forum (Chatting Time), I thought it would be kind of fun to start like a sort of mini-Website to go along with the forum. Wouldn't have been a bad idea had I not gone with a stupid host... I chose 000Webhost as I knew that at the time had free plans to those who couldn't afford them, so I went with that. Worst. Decision. Ever. Took forever to get anything accomplished at all. I don't recall any downtime but I do remember a lot of slow loading, loads of running back and forth to my email to see if I got the detailes I needed to get to the Cpanel and stuff like that.... never again. I might do a personal (private, mind you) blog one day but I'm still toying around with that idea. I do know I'm not using 000Webhost if I do go along with it, that's for dang sure! Plenty of other decent hosts that load well, have decent plans, etc.

Ashley

Ashley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hey guys, feel free to ask me more questions. Again, no personal questions please.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users