Welcome to General Talk
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account now!
Photo

UK fuel costs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

stevo87

stevo87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationUK

Heres time for me to rant, I heard the other day about energy bills are likely to rise due to a number of coal power plants shutting down which will mean some energy will need to be imported costing more..... thats the first part because I cannot afford to put the heating on as it is

Secondly....Petrol/Diesel costs, here in the UK these are estimated to hit an all time high at Easter due to silly amounts of tax and "the weak pound", however as its already £1.43 a litre for diesel how much can they expect people to pay?

I think its important these rising energy costs are kept under control, its doing the economy more harm than good 

ImmenseRadio.com - Non Stop Dance

ImmenseLive.com - Just Great Music

jevika

jevika

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Locationindia
For me, it's not reasonable to anticipate that the government will reduce the tax that is added to the price of petrol before it is sold.
Because, if they do so, they will eventually try hard to find its income from somewhere else and plus taxing a primary cause of air pollution is really a great idea.
So, the government is not actually the problem, the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries around the world, also known as OPEC, regulates more than 40% of the worlds petrol output.
When someone has an item to offer and no matter how much they charged for it, folks would go on purchasing, that would continue to keep increasing the purchase price.
Since there is no significant competition to drive gas prices down, OPEC is free to essentially set its own price for crude oil.

stevo87

stevo87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationUK

OPEC can only be blamed for so much, something like 70% of the cost of fuel is tax, its about time the government stopped trying to tax the country out of recession . Its also about time oil companies were forced to look into other types of fuels 

Tuhinstone007

Tuhinstone007

New To GT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationHouston

It's reminds me of the summer of 2008, when the average price for normal fuel in america reach a record high of $4.11 a gallon, going even higher in some locations, such as parts of Michigan, where gas hit a jaw-dropping $5.09 per gallon. It absolutely was brutal, particularly when coupled with the news that oil organizations were posting record quarterly profits simultaneously, which triggered a national, populist backlash against the industry.

Tuhinstone007

Tuhinstone007

New To GT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationHouston

It's horrible how overpriced fuel is in the united kingdom when compared with European countries.
It used to be? ninety five p per litre pre 2008?
When do you think the prices will drop?

stevo87

stevo87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationUK

Yeah it was about 95p back then, I cant really see the prices coming down again as the taxes are so high. The rest of Europe isn't far behind us with the price of fuel unfortunately. 

Iskuzo

Iskuzo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationLondon

It will go high in future...so be prepared for it guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users