Welcome to General Talk
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account now!
Photo

Here's one for the coders!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

BeautifulAngel

BeautifulAngel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationHeaven ;)

How did you learn to code? Did you take a course, go to school for it, or just teach yourself? 

My boyfriend is starting a forum for his buddy who created some game on the computer and his friend wanted a forum. Because my boyfriend is a noob at forums and how to set them up he's asked for my assistance. I myself, don't know a lot of coding but I know a tad bit from fixing random things here and there.

So anyways, yesterday I worked all evening and night to make my boyfriend the forum that he wanted, with the colours he wanted, and the way he wanted everything to be done. 

Anyways, this morning he wakes up and decides to change some things on the forum and to do some coding of his own. to say, he messed a lot of things up by deleting and changing things. :/ It's really frustrating because I spent so much time making the forum he wanted just so he can play around and delete a lot of my work/mess up the coding so the forum looks messed.

I want him to learn coding because I think if he is going to be messing around with the codes he should definitely learn what he's actually doing and what the coding means. Plus I don't want to have to spend my day fixing his errors either :P 

So my question to you is: How did you learn to code? In your opinion what is the best way to learn how to code? 

Thanks a bunch! 

Beans

Beans

Settling In

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Trial and error! There are a lot of free sources out there that teach you how to code. There are also many languages that coders user to develop websites and forums. The biggest suggestion I can give him is to start with HTML and CSS, those are the easiest and most widely used web design programming languages. A good place to start woud be W3Schools. They have a lot of tips and tricks and explanations about how things work with the latest HTML5 and CSS3 coding languages. Other wise, using google to find tutorials helps too. It's how I learned.

Commandermadi

Commandermadi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I have been into web development career for only few months, completely shifted from a completely different field which is political sciences.

Reasons that I am really passionate about web industries since I was young. I love anything that involves technology anyway but I love computers and internet the most. 

There are loads of websites around to get your feet really wet in web development and start coding like Codeacademy (Best in my opinion) but also few books have helped me really so so much that you can ever imagine. I can link you the names of these books if you would like to. Anyway, here is my best advice so far:

Whether you would like to be a front-end developer (Mainly called designer) or a back-end developer (Mainly called developer or programmer) you should have a complete and good knowledge of HTML and CSS. HTML and CSS take only few days (Maybe a week) to learn but talk hundereds of hour to really master and become professional one. 

Then when you master them, you decide where you want to be, either a designer or a developer. If you wanted to be a designer, then your next-to-learn language is Javascript with its library JQuery and a bit of overall knowledge about PS, Illustrator and Dreamweaver would be a great addition. 

If you wanted to be a developer, then you should go and learn PHP or ASP.NET both are really great languages and used by huge enterprises all over the web. Learning Databases, MYSQL, Debugging and such stuff is a must as well. 

You decide what you want to be, I hope you find this information useful :)

I will be honored by your visit to my newborn blog

adorologysig.png

Snoopy

Snoopy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOn My Box

We have a few coders on our forum, most taught themselves by error and success.

oie_lsql9WjAwMvD_zpsc71ac98a.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users